Shepherd’s Hope, a 20-year-old nonprofit that operates five free and charitable clinics in Central Florid, will open a new 10,000-square-foot clinic in Winter Garden.
Elected leaders, healthcare officials and representatives from Shepherd’s Hope broke ground Wednesday on The West Orange Medical Clinic & Administrative Center (WOMC&AC).
The clinic, which will offer free health services to the uninsured and under-insured, will be the first permanent location for Shepherd’s Hope. The new clinic at 455 Ninth Street is scheduled to open in Fall 2018.
“It is significant in our 20th anniversary year that our new health care facility will return Shepherd’s Hope back to its roots in East Winter Garden where our first patient was treated,” Marni Stahlman, president/CEO of Shepherd’s Hope, said in a statement.
The West Orange Medical Clinic & Administrative Center, a collaborative partnership among Shepherd’s Hope, the West Orange Healthcare District and the City of Winter Garden, will include a 3,500-square-foot administration center, a 5,600-square-foot health center and a 1,100-square-foot nonprofit community kitchen operated by St. Luke’s United Methodist Church.
The total cost of the clinic has not been released.
Donors to the clinic include:
- The West Orange Healthcare District has pledged a $1 million matching grant to be used for capital facility construction.
- The City of Winter Garden is leasing Shepherd’s Hope two acres of land.
- The West Orange Health Alliance has contributed $500,000 toward the West Orange Healthcare District’s $1 million matching gift.
- Dr. Phillips Charities has committed a $250,000 matching pledge toward the project.
- St. Luke’s United Methodist Church has committed $100,000 to build out as a tenant in the new facility with a two-fold purpose
According to Shepherd’s Hope, the facility will provide greater access to free health care services for the growing West Orange County community, including essential primary and secondary medical services, health management and education and wellness programs.